Our WebScan solution currently monitors nearly 7 million sites and we've recently started sharing a monthly report on the threatscape facing eCommerce businesses.
Here's a very high level summary:
- 9.5% of all websites reviewed are deemed either HIGH or CRITICAL risk, meaning they have been breached or could be hacked easily due to the security issues on the website.
- Magento 1 continues to be targeted by criminals (3.1% of the dataset, 68% of the hacked sites).
- The deadline for Magento 1 sites to upgrade to Magento 2 is getting close - too close for many to be able to migrate in time. The consequences are:
- No more software updates.
- Increased targeting by criminals (old and vulnerable software is easier to hack).
- Liabilities - if a merchant using Magento 1 gets breached, they will be deemed non-compliant with PCI and will face liabilities for every card stolen from their website. This is expensive.
- Risk levels can easily be reduced - check out our blog post.
If you're a business owner with a website built on Magento 1, these are the three most important steps you need to take to mitigate your risk:
- Plan your migration and begin the process as soon as you can.
- Take out cyber breach insurance to cover potential liabilities if your business gets hacked. Get in touch if you want to speak with brokers who understand this space and can help you today.
- Get security onto your website now. We can help with this.
Here is a brief video presentation of the report:
If you’d like a PDF of the presentation, please click on the button below.